Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Basket Tutorial

Is anyone else excited for the release of Twilight on DVD? I wasn't able to see it when it was in theaters, so I am truly looking forward to it. Cody is wanting to spend the weekend with my folks and I am tempted to let him so that I have some more "me" time before Duke returns from his trip. It's not often that I get to be totally alone, it will be nice.

I finally got pictures taken and edited for the basket I posted here. I threw away my original measurements, so I am going off my memory which isn't all that great. This is only my second tutorial, so forgive me if I missed anything or haven't explained well enough.

Here are all the supplies you will need:
Circle Cutter
Glass Cutting Mat
Die Cutting Machine
Paper Snips
Adhesive
Stamps (optional)
Ink (optional)
Scor-Pal
Circle Nestabilities or Circle Punch
Cardstock
Removable Tape


Using removable tape, tape cardstock of choice to glass cutting mat in a few areas so it doesn't shift. Then use Circle Scissors to make a 6" circle.

Here is a shot of the tape, you can see that you just need a tiny bit to hold it securely.

Once the circle is cut, stamp randomly on the circle. Obviously, if you don't want to stamp it, it can be left as is. For this one I used Ocean Tides carstock and ink with a SU! SAB set.

Once you are pleased with stamp placement, score at 1.25 on two opposite sides and at 2 on the other sides. Scor-Pal does not have a scoring channel at 1.25, so you must move the paper to the .25 mark and then score at 1.5.

Now, you need to make one cut on each side in order to assemble the basket. I used my ATG gun and tape to secure and it's still holding, so you don't need red line tape if you don't have it.

Ok, so now you just fold in the tabs and adhere to the sides.

Here is what your basket should look like so far. Now, we just have to make the handle and the insert for the terra cotta pot.

Cut matching cardstock to 4 3/8 x 5 3/8, score at 1" on all sides.

Grab a circle nestie and place in the center of the center panel. Secure with removable tape and then use die cutting machine to cut.


Then, make one cut on the score lines on all sides and secure to sides.

Once you have it secured well, place the insert into the basket bottom. It will be snug, so you may have to fiddle with it a bit.

Cut a 1 x 8.5 strip of matching cardstock for handle, if desired. Here I stamped with the same stamp. Secure just below the top of insert.

Wasn't that easy??!! Here is your finished basket.

Obviously, you can finish it as you like adding ribbon and other embellishments. If you decide to make one, I'd love to see it.

16 comments:

Kim said...

So cute! Great tutorial.

Christi said...

OMG I love this!!! I just got a cutter like that and would love to know what kind of adhesive you use to keep your paper down. I'm going to have to save this and make these for Easter! Thank you again for your tutorial!!

Regina said...

I have just found you over Allisons blog "Stampin when I can".
Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! I love this little basket!
Greetings Regina from Germany

Cindy Haffner said...

Wicked, love your basket, thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. That took some time and I appreciate the effort it takes to make one. I am excited about Twilight. My girls are all coming for springbreak and my son says we are getting that movie so they can see it. He knows they love it. TFS

Kimmie0270 said...

awesome tutorial.

Deb Neerman said...

Your basket is soooo cute and your tutorial is fantastic!

So easy, even I get it!

Lauren said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing the tutorial Tina.

Danni said...

You did great at the tutorial!! Wonderful!!

AlienAnessa said...

OH Tina, that is stinkin' adorable!!! Great pics too!! Thank you so much for the birthday treats, I absolutely love what you sent me!! I {heart} you!!

Michelle said...

CA-UTE!!! Thanks so much for the tutorial - you did a great job!! It looks very easy (which I like) and I'll have to try this one out. I'm such a sucker for baskets and boxes!!

Have you ever bought any of the PTI templates that Lauren makes? I've been eyeing quite a few of those but just not sure yet...

Jenn D said...

What an adorable basket. Your tutorial is fantastic.

I read book 1 of the Twilight series and have the other 3 waiting for me. I have 2 other books to finish first. I'll have to check out the movie when I'm done with all of them.

I say some alone time is well needed! I may get some this weekend as well and that is a rarity.

Jenn

Heather said...

Tina,

This is a great basket tutorial and I really love how it turned out!!!

Thanks for the pictures and instructions!!!

Heather

Allison said...

This is terrific...thanks for writing this up with all the great pics so I can try it!

Dawn Mercedes said...

UGH>...I keep goign back and forth on the need to get a ScorPal...

this is awesome...way to go.

Smriti said...

What an illustrative tutorial! Great job!

ShareThis